Monday, March 1, 2010

New Mexico Snow Wheeling

I will start my blog by documenting my first wheeling adventures in New Mexico. I will first say after moving to NM I joined the High Desert Cruisers a TLCA chapter out of Albuquerque. They are a good family oriented and relaxed group of wheelers.

Being that we moved to NM in the winter my first introduction of NM wheelin has been a couple of snow runs. First a New Years day stocker snow run, and then another trip to the same place after a big snow for a "Hardcore" snow run.

The New Years day snow run was a blast. Sans chains, I still did well because the snow was not deep. We drove non-stop all day, and no one got stuck, which means the best documentation the trip even happened is in my head. Here is the only proof I have of even going on this trip.
















The second run was more adventurous. We went to Paliza Canyon, which is in the Jemez mountains to the west of Los Alamos. An hour drive through the mountains got me to the trailhead and a waiting group of trucks. My adventures started with a pair of borrowed chains. I have never put chains on, much less chains that barely fit my worn 35" Goodyear tires.

After 30 min of guys standing around giving me orders I successfully installed a pair of chains on the rear tires. I would learn latter that might have been a mistake.

After chaining up and airing down we set off on the trail. Things were going great with Sean at the front in a FJ-40 with a 350 and 39" IROK's. The snow got deeper as the day went on. We eventually ended up in 4ft deep snow. It was great.




















When we got into the deep snow I realized how much my 4-runner sucks in the snow compared to the Land Cruisers. Pappy in a FJ-40 with 35" Goodyear MTR tires (same as mine) was able to get to the front and plow fresh snow.










I on the other hand had problems just keeping up in the tracks. I just kept spinning the rear tires.



















The biggest adventure came after we had turned around at the top and started back down. I needed to let Ali by me in his FJ-80, so when I found a wide spot I moved over...

Well I also got stuck, the only person to get stuck this trip. Oh well...it was fun.

The rest of the trip we just cruised back down our tracks to the trailhead and went home. It was a great trip. Next time I am going to put the chains on the front and let a bunch more air out of the tires. 15psi is way to much for the snow.

The next outdoor adventure I tried out here was a backpacking trip....more on that later.

Deuces,

Leni

No comments:

Post a Comment