Sunday, March 7, 2010

FINALLY!!! New Mexico Rockcrawling

Before I expound on my first NM Rockcrawling adventure I first have to tell you all about sleeping in the snow.

I decided one day that I needed to go backpacking in the snow. So I loaded up my bag one day and had Maggie drop me off at the edge of town. I spent the rest of the day getting very lost and slogging through hip deep snow. Los Alamos is surrounded by trails, but with 2ft of snow on them, I was having a hard time following the trail.

Once I finally got tired enough to stop and set up the tent the cheese/milk mixture in my backpack for mack-n-cheese had frozen. The hot noodles that I boiled only warmed up the cheese to room temperature. Despite luke warm mack-n-cheese, I was still full and happy.

The next mornings oatmeal was hot, but it still didn't make up for the frozen shoes. I walked really fast for the first hour to get those things warmed up. Despite the 12* midnight low I still had a blast.

Ok...on to Rockcrawling. I went down to Albuquerque to go wheelin in a new spot. Albuquerque is about 2000ft lower then Los Alamos and therefore has no snow. The place is called Rio Puerco. We arrived at the entrance and met up with some Samurais from the "Desert Ninjas". They are a great group of guys.

When you first get to Rio Puerco it looks like a motocross course. Once we got going we went up and over a big sand dune and down the other side. We went down into a dry river wash and followed the wash all day. We stopped periodically and followed trails up into the banks. Some of them actually got me twisted up.

















The real fun came toward the end of the day when we got into some "slick rock". We found some really good V cracks and ledges to climb. This is where the dual t-cases and rear 4-link really shined. My truck even impressed me.






I actually climbed this 3ft ledge.









The praise does go to Maggie for the best documentation of this trip. She is getting really good at taking pictures for me.



I will leave you with a little of what Maggie saw from behind the camera all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment